The Chapter plans to award one $1,000 scholarship in the Spring of 2019 for the 2019/2020 school year. (The $1000 Scholarship will be distributed $500 each for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 Semesters.) Scholarship applications are due by April 30, 2019 with a winner announced by June 15, 2019.
Applicants must meet the following criteria. No exceptions will be considered.
1. High school senior, undergraduate college student, or graduate college student
2. Accepted or enrolled in an accredited university or college pursuing a degree in science,
technology, engineering, or math disciplines (STEM)
3. Demonstrate leadership potential in science, technology, engineering, or math
4. Have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 for high school seniors, 3.0 for college
5. Be a woman
6. Reside in the Colorado Springs, Colorado area (includes Pueblo, Denver, Woodland Park
and surrounding communities)
7. Be a citizen of the United States
The award will be based on eligibility requirements stated above in addition to consideration of
the following areas:
1. Employment (3 points) – is the student employed, is the job relevant to the degree,
number of hours worked compared with school load
2. Awards and Honors (3 points) – type of awards and honors
3. Activities (3 points) – relevance of extracurricular, professional, and community
4. Essay (5 points) – how the applicant demonstrates leadership potential in science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics
5. Academic Ability (3 points) – level and relevancy of classes being taken and associated
6. Letters of Recommendation (3 points) – recommendations based on accomplishments and career goals
The scholarship committee consists of the WID President, the WID Scholarship Director, a representative from industry, and a representative from the Military. The application areas will be scored and then the scholarship committee will compare results and make the final determination. The award will be made without regard to race, creed, color, or religion. WID
Regional Rocky Mountain Chapter reserves the right to revise, suspend, or discontinue this program without notice.
Fields of Study
The following fields of study are preferred for awarding a scholarship: science, computer
science, physics, engineering, mathematics, and homeland security. Other disciplines will be
considered if the applicant can successfully demonstrate relevance to a career in the areas of national security and defense.
If you have questions regarding the application process, you may contact the Scholarship Committee Director: Amily Beidelman-Almy, email@example.com
Only the applicant selected to receive a WID Rocky Mountain Chapter scholarship will be notified of the scholarship award. The scholarship winner will be announced by 15 June 2019.
In addition, the scholarship winner will be posted on the chapter website. Checks will be payable to the accredited college or university.
Applicants should submit their application packages (application, essay, recommendations,
transcripts) by regular mail to:
Rocky Mountain Chapter Women in Defense (WID) Regional Scholarship Application
c/o Amily Beidelman-Almy
PO Box 75062
Colorado Springs, CO 80970
Applicant is responsible for ensuring application package is complete and postmarked no later than 30 April 2019.